LYONS — Pumpkins will roll down Pearl Street once again this weekend during the village’s third annual PumpkinPalooza Festival.
Not only that, gourds will float down the Erie Canal — and fly over it.
Among the new attractions are a pumpkin-flinging trebuchet and catapult, built with help from local high- schoolers. Also new: the Erie Canal Pumpkin Water Race.
“All you have to do is think rubber duck race, only with pumpkins,” said Jerry Ashley, director of the Lyons Main Street Program, the festival organizer.
The race serves as a fundraiser for the Lyons Community Center.
A car-decorating contest called Bug Out & Other Creepy Crawlers is another new wrinkle. The cars will participate in the costume parade.
“Once people see where we’re going with this, I think we’re going to have a lot more participation,” he said.
In addition, the festival has a new mascot: A carved pumpkin with a witch’s hat. Ashley said he’s seeking help with a name.
The casket race, pumpkin-themed kids’ games and activities, hayrides and a 5k run return to the PumpkinPalooza Festival.
Most events are scheduled for Saturday, although a concert is planned for Sunday.
Here’s a look at Saturday’s lineup:
• 7:30 a.m., farmers market opens.
• 8 a.m., registration for the 5k run/walk.
• 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., parking and special needs shuttle services from Lyons High School and the Community Center to downtown.
• 9 a.m., PumpkinPalooza events begin, including food, craft and sidewalk vendors; music; pumpkin-carving contest; art exhibit and sale; hayrides; fire department open house; and Hotchkiss Building open house.
• 10 a.m., Kids’ games and activities begin; Zumba; Museum of Wayne County History open house through 1 a.m.
• Noon, Erie Canal pumpkin race.
• 12:30 p.m., Zumba demonstration.
• 1, 2 and 6:45 p.m., the story of Squanto and dance lessons.
• 3 p.m., Pearl Street pumpkin race.
• 3:30 p.m., casket races.
• 5:45 p.m., costume parade.
Sunday’s concert at the Ohmann Theatre is scheduled for 2 p.m. and will feature Ron and Nancy Onesong.
The complete schedule will appear in tomorrow’s JumpStart entertainment section.