Details for LEGAL NOTICE NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEETING, BUDGET VOTE AND ELECTION NEWARK CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT COUNTY OF WAYNE, NEWARK, NEW YORK NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN
ANNUAL MEETING, BUDGET VOTE AND ELECTION
CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
COUNTY OF WAYNE, NEWARK, NEW YORK
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that a public hearing of the qualified voters of the Newark Central School District, Wayne County, Newark, New York, will be held and/or streamed pending COVID 19 restrictions in the Wayne Finger Lakes BOCES Conference Center, 131 Drumlin Court, in said District on May 5, 2021, at 6:00 PM prevailing time, for the presentation of the budget.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that the Annual Meeting of the qualified voters of the Newark Central School District of Wayne County, Newark, New York, will be held at the Newark Senior High School Gymnasium, 625 Peirson Avenue, in said District on Tuesday, May 18, 2021, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM, prevailing time, at which time the polls will be opened to vote by paper ballot upon the following items:
1. To adopt the annual budget of the Newark Central School District for the fiscal year 2021-2022 and to authorize the requisite portion thereof to be raised by taxation on the taxable property of the District.
2. To elect three (3) members of the Board of Education for three-year terms commencing July 1, 2021, and expiring on June 30, 2024, to succeed Mrs. Pat Verdine, Mr. Eric DeTaeye and Mr. Brad Steve whose terms expire on June 30, 2021 and to elect one (1) member of the Board of Education for a two-year, 1 month, 11 day partial term commencing May 19, 2021 and expiring June 30, 2023 to succeed John Addyman whose appointment expires on May 18, 2021.
3. Shall the Board of Education of the Newark Central School District be authorized to undertake the acquisition of five (5) school buses, at an estimated maximum aggregate cost of Five Hundred Twenty-Three Thousand Six Hundred Thirty-Eight Dollars ($523,638), less trade-in value, if any, and to appropriate and expend from the existing Bus Capital Reserve Fund the sum of Two Hundred Forty-Five Thousand One Hundred Thirty-Eight Dollars ($245,138) for such costs, and to amend the current budget and appropriate and expend up to Two Hundred Sixty Thousand Dollars ($260,000) for such costs, such budget appropriation to be reduced by any trade-in amount received, estimated to be Eighteen Thousand Five Hundred Dollars ($18,500).
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a copy of the statement of the amount of money which will be required to fund the School District’s budget for 2021-2022, exclusive of public monies, and a copy of the report of the amount of the total assessed value of the final assessment roll(s) used in the budgetary process that is exempt from taxation may be obtained by any resident of the District during the fourteen (14) days immediately preceding the annual meeting, beginning Tuesday, May 4, 2021, except Saturday, Sunday, or holidays, and on the date of the election, at each of the following school houses in which school is maintained during the hours designated:
Newark Senior High School 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Newark Middle School 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Kelley Intermediate School 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Perkins Elementary School 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Lincoln Elementary School 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
District Office 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that petitions nominating candidates for the office of member of the Board of Education shall be filed with the Clerk of said School District at his office in the District Office at 100 East Miller Street, Newark, New York, not later than Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Note the May 5 deadline represents an extension of the previous deadline pursuant to Education Law § 2018(d), due to a candidate’s withdrawal. Each petition shall be directed to the Clerk of the District and shall be signed by at least Twenty-Five (25) voters of the District and must state the name and residence of the candidate.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that a public hearing of the qualified voters of the Newark Central School District, Wayne County, Newark, New York, will be held at the Newark Public Library, High Street, Newark, New York, in said District, on Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 6:00 P.M., for the purpose of discussing the following propositions which will be on the ballot at the District’:
1. BE IT RESOLVED, at the request of the Board of Trustees of the Newark Public Library, that the public library, established for the inhabitants of this Newark Central School District, Wayne County, New York in accordance with Section 216 and 255 of State Education Law, have their budget established at the sum of Six-Hundred One Thousand Three-Hundred Twenty-Three Dollars ($601,323) annually to be hereby appropriated for the maintenance of said library.
2. To elect one (1) member to the Board of Trustees of the Newark Public Library to a five-year term commencing July 1, 2021, and expiring on June 30, 2026 to succeed Mr. Russ Harris whose term expires on June 30, 2021.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that applications for absentee ballots (where applicable) will be obtainable beginning on April 27, 2021 between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, except holidays, from the District Clerk. Completed applications must be received by the District Clerk at least seven (7) days before the election if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, or the day before the election, if the ballot is to be picked up personally by the voter. Absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk not later than 5:00 PM, prevailing time, on Tuesday, May 18, 2021.
Military voters who are qualified voters of the Newark Central School District may apply for a military ballot by requesting an application from the District Clerk at 315-332-3203 or email@example.com. For a military voter to be issued a military ballot, the District Clerk must have received a valid ballot application no later than 5:00pm on April 22, 2021. In a request for a military ballot application or ballot, the military voter may indicate their preference for receiving the application or ballot by mail, facsimile transmission or electronic mail.
A list of persons to whom absentee ballots are issued will be available for inspection in the office of the District Clerk on and after May 13, 2021, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, except Sunday, and on May 18, 2021, the day set for the election, and said list will be posted at the polling place at the election. Any qualified voter present in the polling place may object to the voting of the ballot upon appropriate grounds for making his/her challenge and the reasons therefore known to the Inspector of Election before the close of the polls.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that the qualified voters of the Newark Central School District shall be entitled to vote at said annual vote and election. A qualified voter is one who is (1) a citizen of the United States of America, (2) eighteen years of age or older, and (3) resident within the School District for a period of thirty (30) days preceding the annual vote and election.
Edward K. Gnau. District Clerk
Dated: April 24, 2021
Newark Central School District,
Town of Arcadia,
County of Wayne, New York