NEWARK — The memories for those who attended Roosevelt School and later Roosevelt Children’s Center will live on, thanks to a reunion of sorts held Saturday at the former school building at the corner of Vienna and East Union streets.
The building, built in 1912, named in 1920 for Theodore Roosevelt, and slated for demolition some time in January 2019, stood as a backdrop as more than 100 former students and a number of former teachers gathered in front for a final photo. Marc Kreuser of Newark Rotary was on hand to take a special wide-angle shot of the group. The event was organized by members of the Newark-Arcadia Historical Society.
Attending the event were former Roosevelt teachers Beulah Smith Tiebout, Linda Brongo, Anna Moens and Eileen Godfrey. Also on hand for the photo was Dorothy DeWispelaere DeMay, perhaps the oldest living former student.
The former school is being razed to make way for a new Byrne Dairy.