GENEVA — A Kirkwood Avenue resident had to climb out of a second-floor window to escape smoke from a fire on Friday morning.
The Geneva Fire Department responded to the home about 9:30 a.m. Chief Mike Combs said the fire started in the back of the house, in the kitchen area, and was still under investigation as of Friday afternoon.
Combs said the only person inside the home was upstairs at the time, and was coming down a ladder put up by a neighbor when the first firefighters arrived. The man was treated for smoke inhalation by Finger Lakes Ambulance personnel and later taken to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester.
Combs said there was nothing being cooked at the time, and the fire could have started in a cupboard. He added that the fire is not considered suspicious.
Ontario County Fire Coordinator Jeff Harloff also responded and is working with Combs in the investigation. Combs said firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke in the home, adding the fire could have been smoldering for up to 30 minutes before the resident noticed it.
“The crews got in there quickly, gained entry to the kitchen area and made another good knockdown,” Combs said.