GENEVA — City police Monday identified the two people who died Sunday morning in a murder-suicide on Exchange Street.

Geneva Police Department Chief Jeff Trickler said the female victim was Emily Carson, 38, of Geneva. The man who shot her and then killed himself has been identified as Pedro Pacheco, 35.

Trickler said from what police know at this point, Carson and Pacheco were in an on-again, off-again relationship, and Pacheco — originally from New York City — was living with Carson in Geneva from time to time. Trickler added that the incident happened on Carson’s birthday and she was a nurse at Geneva General Hospital.

“We really don’t have a lot of information on Pedro,” he said. “We’re still trying to sort out their relationship and all that.”

Trickler said from talking to people who knew Carson and Pacheco, she was taking him to the Greyhound station for a trip back to New York City when an argument broke out. Her car was found at the intersection of Castle and Exchange streets.

The shootings happened about 11:45 a.m. near the Smoke Shop and Exchange Place parking lot. After getting several 911 calls about gunshots in the area, officers arrived to find Carson with gunshot wounds to her abdomen and Pacheco dead from a shot to the head.

Officers started CPR on Carson until emergency responders arrived. She was taken by ambulance to Geneva General Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Trickler said a weapon was found at the scene. He described it as a revolver and said it was stolen.

A witness to the shooting, Carl Cornish of South Butler, said he and his wife were picking up her sister — who is from Arizona — at the Greyhound station when the shooting took place. He said he walked past the two people while they were arguing and struggling.

“She was saying ‘Let go of me, Let go of me,’” Cornish said.

Cornish said the man then put a gun to the woman’s head, and she ducked to the ground.

“She said ‘Don’t do it, don’t do it,’” Cornish recalled.

Cornish said the man was on top of her, then pulled the woman up and shot her twice in the stomach. He then shot himself in the head.

Cornish believed it was a large-caliber handgun.

“He had the gun right in his back, pulled it right out. It sounded like a shotgun going off,” he said. “I don’t know what they were arguing about. I didn’t think I was gonna come here and see this right in front of me.”

Another witness, John Cunningham of Geneva, said he had just left the nearby Captain’s Room after breakfast and was getting into his car when he saw the people struggling out of the corner of his eye.

“I didn’t think much of it at first, then he dragged her across a snowbank,” said Cunningham, who then saw the man draw the gun and got into his car to call 911.

Cunningham said the man dragged the woman alongside a building near the parking lot, and he drove up and saw the man shoot her and then shoot himself.

Trickler said Geneva police are being assisted in the investigation by the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office and state police. Numerous police officers were at the scene in the hours after the shooting.

Trickler said police are still talking to relatives and friends of Carson and Pacheco.

Trending Food Videos

Recommended for you